Sunday, May 27, 2012

Field Trip

The summer season is upon us, and along with cook-outs, swimming, yard work and such, my little family is ready for the weekend roadtrips.  Last year Jon, Sophie and I spent many weekends traveling around southern Illinois and the St. Louis area hitting festivals and the like.  

There's something about being at a gathering where you know few people that makes the world seem (paradoxically) kinder to me.  We are all connected by our humanness, and the universal life force.  People-watching broadens my tolerance level.  It reminds me that the world is bigger than me, myself and I.  It reminds me that I am never, ever alone.  It reminds me that kindness and beauty are in the details.  Our details.

And then of course there are the vendors, the food and the music!

This weekend Jon and I took a spur of the moment trip to St. Louis.  It was close to 100 degrees, so we opted for a cool retreat at the St. Louis Art Museum first.  I hadn't been there since the Van Gogh exhibit over a decade ago.  It was good to return.  Being in the presence of such awesomeness is humbling.

Then we moseyed over to the heart of downtown, and enjoyed some barbecue and fantastic music at Bluesfest.  Here are some photos I captured.

Reclining Pan - Oh how I adore the Great Pan 
Stairway At Auvers - Van Gogh
The Dreamer - Renoir
This plaque was just posted randomly - I have been contemplating it every since. 
Untitled (mental map: Lost IV) - Franz Ackermann
Enjoying the view in front of the St. Louis Art Museum
Jon after some yummy barbecue at Bluesfest

No comments:

Post a Comment