Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Wisdom Returns

My lovely daughter Sophia will be celebrating a birthday just after the first of the year, and buying for her was easy, peasy to say the least. She is a girly girl after all, and is drawn like a magnet to all things aesthetically pleasing.

This is not uncommon, and I encourage her to follow her heart. She is already experimenting with make-up, hair products and fashion. This is good, and as it should be. She is discovering her preferences, and learning about arrangement, design and flow. This is a trial and error time. It is also a time when self-esteem is developed. I want Sophie to enjoy painting intricate designs on her fingernails, and learning to blend her eyeshadow, but I also want her to know there is more to a woman than what she looks like. And I want her to like what she sees when the makeup and hair bows are off. Her father is 6'7" and it appears as if she will be getting his height and not mine. I want her to embrace this uniqueness. I want her to love herself as she is, and see the beauty in the traits that have been passed on to her from generations before.

I kept all this in mind as I was shopping for her birthday. I wanted to get her at least one thing that would remind her to stay grounded. Serendipitously I came across a tween book online called Sophia and the Seven Goddesses: A Journey of Self-Acceptance by Beverley Danusis and Ilene Satala.
I was attracted to the book because I am always looking for items depicting or describing the Goddess Sophia. I also saw it was based on the seven major goddesses from Greek mythology: Athena, Artemis, Hestia, Hera, Demeter, Persephone and Aprhodite. These same goddesses were used in Goddesses in Everywoman: Powerful Archetypes in Women's Lives by Jean Shinoda Bolen that I read over the summer. I was fascinated by the connection.

Well I had the Sophia book wrapped in pretty hot pink paper... but I couldn't stand it... it had to be read!

The heroine in Sophia and the Seven Goddesses is a 12 year old girl, Sophie, who is discovering her own unique talents and learning how to love and accept her physical appearance. Sophie, along with her new friend Tena, use their intuition to bring Wisdom back into the world in a fantastic, life-changing adventure.

My review: Outstanding! Goosebumper! This book is worth the read for tween girls, and every woman of every age. Men - you might find it enlightening as well. This book almost had me in tears. The meaning is so profound, and each goddess, even Aphrodite who always seems to get a bad rap, is depicted in such a positive, uplifting, empowering light.

No comments:

Post a Comment